Friday, December 4, 2009
Adam Lambert to Appear on The View
I try to avoid posting my opinion here on my shrine to the fabulous glittermen, but this ABC situation is really bothering me. I will continue to boycott ABC (though I'll feel free to watch The View and Barbara's 10 Most Fascinating on Youtube), and this is why:
1. There are numerous reports from media folk who were at rehearsals and say they saw the same moves in rehearsal that sparked this controversy. The fact that the (innocuous "...till you're screaming my name") audio was censored at the simulated bj moment seems to indicate the the ABC censors were prepared to do their job, but mistakenly dropped the audio rather than censoring the video (by using a different camera angle). I cannot think of any other reason that this would have happened. Please note they did change the camera angle for the other male/female simulated bj.
See sidebar for link to the full AMA performance, but you can see both simulated sex moments below.
2. ABC hyped Adam's performance repeatedly as "jaw dropping", "you don't want to miss this", blah blah blah, and saved his performance for the last act of the night, thereby ensuring that people would tune in (mature adults and not young children), and sit through the entire show waiting for Adam.
3. ABC then threw Adam under the bus and canceled performances (to which tickets had been sold to people from around the globe), and claimed they didn't know that he was going to do that.
4. ABC canceled Adam's Good Morning America appearance saying that Adam couldn't be trusted to perform in a manner befitting a morning show. This, in spite of the fact that Adam had performed on their show a few month's prior and somehow managed to keep his hands and tongue off the other performers and turn in an amazing vocal performance.
5. ABC canceled Adam's appearance on Jimmy Kimmel's late night show and Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve. Not able to use Adam's "unpredictability" as an excuse (because the FCC doesn't care what happens on late night television), instead an ABC spokesperson simply said, “We decided not to move forward with the booking at this time".
6. It appears that ABC is reacting to a complaint filed with the FCC by Liberty Counsel, who in this complaint make the argument that homosexual kissing is obscene. See complaint below:
To summarize, I feel ABC used Adam Lambert to promote the AMAs, knew what was coming, and because they didn't do their job correctly felt the need to lie about it and blackball Adam after the fact in response to the ravings of the uber-Christian, lunatic fringe who believe homosexual open mouth kissing is obscene.
ETA: Well, after all the above, I've constructed a Glittery Knoll Conspiracy Theory. Send me an email if you want the link - not for public consumption.